Distance learning provides flexibility that working adults need. Learn why our students recommend Amridge University. Now is the time to enroll!
Doctor of Education in Higher Education Administration
The Doctor of Education in Higher Education Administration curriculum prepares current and future leaders for executive level positions within postsecondary institutions. With a programmatic emphasis in research, institutional effectiveness, student services, curriculum development, finance, law, and future trends, students will develop the theoretical skills necessary to effectively address real-world problems within higher education. The curriculum consists of 51 credit hours, with 3 hours of required orientation courses, 21 credit hours of discipline-specific courses, 12 credit hours of research methods courses, 3 credit hours related to a Comprehensive Exam, and 12 credit hours devoted to the development of a dissertation. Students can complete the program within 10 semesters of full-time attendance.
Applications for admission to the Doctor of Education in Higher Education Administration program will not be considered complete until all the following items are properly completed and submitted:
- Application with fee.
- Official transcript showing an earned Graduate degree in a related field from a regionally or selected nationally accredited institution.
- Writing Sample (e.g. Career Monograph, Published Journal Article, term paper from master’s degree or a doctoral dissertation, or other applicable writing sample). Applicant must submit a paper or thesis from the master’s degree level or doctoral dissertation that is written in accordance with a style manual generally accepted by colleges and universities. The writing sample must have been written solely by the applicant and should reflect the applicant’s research and academic writing skills. Ideally, the term paper shall contain grade marks by the course instructor.
- Interview of the applicant. The assigned Amridge University faculty interviewer will arrange an interview with the applicant – this may be done by telephone.
Upon completion of the program the graduate will be able to:
- Interpret results from programmatic/institutional data, financial reports, and scholarly research in order to make data-driven decisions.
- Apply organizational theories and models to lead effective organizations.
- Analyze trends and issues that influence higher education (such as student services, institutional effectiveness, public policy, student learning, and finance) to develop, manage, and evaluate quality academic programs and services in an ethical manner.
- Research issues in higher education and provide scholarly analysis and innovative solutions.
Time Normally Required to Complete the Program
The Doctor of Education in Higher Education Administration may be completed in four years attending full-time. A student may take the courses on a part-time or full-time basis. This estimate includes coursework and the writing and acceptance of the dissertation.
Education in Higher Education Administration consists of program specific courses, 21 credit hours of discipline specific courses, 12 credit hours of research methods courses, 3 credit hours related to a Qualifying Exam, and 12 credit hours devoted to the development of a dissertation.
|Required Courses for the Doctor of Education in Higher Education Administration
|Foundations and Advanced Scholarly Writing for Doctoral Study
|Foundations of Higher Education Leadership
|Student Services Administration in Higher Education
|Ethical and Legal Issues in Higher Education
|Strategic Planning and Institutional Effectiveness in Higher Education
|Higher Education Finance
|College Curriculum and Program Development
|Current Trends and Topics in Higher Education
|Advanced Research Methods
|Theory and Methodology of Qualitative Research
|Design and Quantitative Analysis in Research I
|Total Required Hours for Doctoral Degree
|Qualifying Examination for the Doctor of Education in Higher Education Administration
|Qualifying Examination for Doctor of Education in Higher Education Administration
|Total Qualifying Examination Hours for Doctoral Degree
|Research Dissertation Modules for the Doctor of Education in Higher Education Administration
|Research Dissertation in Education Module 1
|Research Dissertation in Education Module 2
|Research Dissertation in Education Module 3
|Research Dissertation in Education Module 4
|Total Research Dissertation Module Hours for Doctoral Degree
|Total Hours for Doctoral Degree
Amridge University recognizes that students transferring from other institutions may have earned academic credit that is applicable to their Academic Plan at the University. Students may be eligible to transfer up to 12 semester hours of coursework into the Doctor of Education in Higher Education Administration.