Distance learning provides flexibility that working adults need. Learn why our students recommend Amridge University. Now is the time to enroll!
Master of Divinity
The Master of Divinity (MDiv) degree prepares qualified persons to be effective Christian ministers and church leaders who will use their gifts and knowledge in proclaiming the gospel,strengthening the church, and serving humanity. The program seeks to prepare students for professions in ministry and further opportunities by preparation for admission to more advanced studies such as the Doctor of Ministry degree program. The Master of Divinity is biblical in orientation with exposure to theological and historical studies. The program seeks after effective Christian service that is scholarly; yet, practical and relevant to contemporary life for the communities in which graduates will serve. Finally, graduates of the MDiv degree will be mentored in ways to conduct themselves and to relate to others that is spiritually mature and morally sensitive.
Upon completion of the Master of Divinity program the graduates will be able to:
- Demonstrate effective preparation for Christian ministry and leadership responsibilities in congregations and other settings
- Use the biblical text and theological and historical studies to enrich the spiritual life of others
- Develop the skills to minister in an effective manner in the culture in which the graduate must live
- Support the means by which one may grow morally and spiritually, and by which one may lead others in positive spiritual formation in the likeness of Jesus Christ
- Develop the scholarly, theological and reflective foundation that will provide the basis for admission into more advanced studies such as the DMin degree.
These outcomes are assessed through a comprehensive examination. A student may demonstrate achievement of these outcomes by receiving a passing grade (i.e., ”Qualifying” or “Qualifying with Distinction”) for the comprehensive examination given for this degree.
Time Normally Required to Complete the Program
The Master of Divinity may be completed in three years. A student may take courses on a part-time or full-time basis.
GRADUATION REQUIREMENTS FOR THE MASTER OF DIVINITY
Before being graduated with the Master of Divinity, a student must satisfy the following requirements:
1. A total of 78 graduate semester hours of which at least 42 semester hours must be taken at Amridge University, if there is no Advanced Bible Placement applied. If 6 hours of Advanced Bible Placement are applied, 39 semester hours must be taken at Amridge University;
2. Complete all required coursework for the degree;
3. Have a cumulative GPA of 3.0;
4. Pass the written Comprehensive Exam. Students must register for FD 7323 – Synthesis of Theological Curriculum II to prepare for the exam. The Comprehensive Examination serves as the Program Exit Examination; and
5. Complete an Amridge University Degree Completion Application. The properly completed and signed application must be submitted no later than the first day of classes of the semester prior to the semester the student plans to graduate. Following this schedule permits the University to conduct a full audit of the respective student’s records to make sure that all courses, programs, and respective graduation requirements have been met. Students having any questions regarding the Degree Completion Application should contact the Registrar’s Office.
The Course Requirements of 78 semester credit hours for the degree program Master of Divinity consists of program specific courses.
|Required Courses for the Master of Divinity
|Research and Foundation Courses
|RS 6339 Research and Evaluation (for prospective DMin students via the MDiv)
|RS 6310 Introduction to Biblical Related Research
|BI 6320 History of the Bible
|FD 6312 Hermeneutics
|FT 7301 Introduction to Pastoral Counseling
|LD 6353 Leadership Vision and Values
|LD 6362 Spiritual Leadership
|NT 6312 The Life and Teachings of Christ
|PS 6302 Homiletics
|PS 6310 Personal Evangelism
|TH 6300 Early Church History
|TH 6310 Systematic Theology
|TH 6320 Christian Evidences
|Total Research and Foundation Studies Hours for Masters Degree
|Theological/Historical/Missions/Foundations/Professional Studies Electives
|Choose any SEVEN BI, FD, MS, PS, or TH Prefix Courses
|Textual/Leadership/Counseling/MFT Elective Courses
|Choose any SIX FT, LD, NT, OR, or PT Prefix Courses
|Comprehensive Examination for the Master of Divinity
|FD 7323 Synthesis of Theological Curriculum II (MDiv)
|Total Comprehensive Examination Hours for Masters Degree
|Total Hours for Masters Degree
Hebrew and/or Greek languages are recommended in the MDiv program, but not required. These can be taken as foundation studies or general electives.
| Common Titles: