Distance learning provides flexibility that working adults need. Learn why our students recommend Amridge University. Now is the time to enroll!
Master of Arts in Old Testament Studies
The Master of Arts (MA) in Old Testament Studies is a graduate degree that offers a specialization in the Old Testament of the Bible. Courses include study of texts in the Hebrew Old Testament, Old Testament backgrounds, and on proper contextual interpretation. Students enrolled in this program become proficient with the Hebrew language. There is also heavy emphasis on scholarly biblical research and writing. An important outcome for the student is to develop a professional, scholarly approach to interpreting the Old Testament. This program provides a proper foundation for students to pursue the Doctor of Philosophy in Biblical Studies in Old Testament offered by Amridge University and is open to applicants who hold a four year bachelor’s degree in any field of study.
Upon completion of the Master of Arts in Old Testament Studies program the graduates will be able to:
- Demonstrate reasonable exegetical skills in interpreting passages from the Hebrew Bible.
- Demonstrate mastery of the principles of textual criticism in order to deal with difficult problems in the establishing of the best text.
- Implement an objective approach to interpreting the Old Testament, with special attention to scholarly research and writing.
Time Normally Required to Complete the Program
The Master of Arts in Old Testament Studies may be completed in 4 semesters. A student may take courses on a part-time or full-time basis.
The Course Requirements of 36 semester credit hours for the degree program Master of Arts in Old Testament Studies consists of program specific courses (24 semester hours), elective courses (9 semester hours), and a capstone course (3 semester hours).
GRADUATION REQUIREMENTS FOR THE MASTER OF ARTS IN OLD TESTAMENT STUDIES
Before being graduated with the Master of Arts in Old Testament Studies, a student must satisfy the following requirements:
- Earn a total of 36 graduate semester hours in the program of which at least 21 semester hours must be taken at Amridge University, if there is no Advanced Bible Placement applied. If 6 hours of Advanced Bible Placement are applied, 18 hours must be taken at Amridge University;
- Complete all required coursework for the degree;
- Have a cumulative GPA of 3.0; and
- Complete an Amridge University Degree Completion Application. The properly completed and signed application must be submitted no later than the first day of classes of the semester prior to the semester the student plans to graduate. Following this schedule permits the University to conduct a full audit of the respective student’s records to make sure that all courses, programs, and respective graduation requirements have been met. Students having any questions regarding the Degree Completion Application should contact the Registrar’s Office.
The Course Requirements of 36 semester credit hours for the degree program Master of Arts in Old Testament Studies consists of program specific courses.
|The Course Requirements of 36 semester credit hours for the degree program Master of Arts in Old Testament Studies consists of program specific courses (27 semester hours), elective courses (9 semester hours).
|Required Courses for the Master of Arts in Old Testament Studies
|BI 6320 History of the Bible
FD 6306 Elementary Hebrew I*
FD 6307 Elementary Hebrew II
FD 6308 Hebrew Reading I
FD 6309 Hebrew Reading II
FD 6312 Hermeneutics
OT 6301 Critical Introduction to the Old Testament
RS 6310 Introduction to Biblical Related Research
|BI 7310 Synthesis of Biblical Studies
|Total Required Course Hours
|Elective Courses for the Master of Arts in Old Testament Studies
|Three courses from Foundation Studies (FD), New Testament (NT), Old Testament (OT), OR Theology (TH) prefixed courses.
|Total Elective Course Hours for Masters Degree
|Total Hours for Masters Degree
*Advanced Bible Placement:
Students who have a major in Bible or religious studies on the undergraduate level and have already taken first-year Hebrew courses may receive, with the approval of the Dean of the Turner School of Theology, up to 6 hours toward this degree – possibly reducing the required hours total from 36 to 30 semester hours.
Amridge University recognizes that students transferring from other institutions may have earned academic credit that is applicable to their Academic Plan at the University. Students may be eligible to transfer up to 15 semester hours of coursework into the Master of Arts in Old Testament Studies.
| Common Titles: