The Associate of Arts in Liberal Studies program provides students with opportunities to complete an initial college degree while establishing a solid academic foundation for a bachelor degree. Upon completion of this associate degree, a student may have completed one-half of the requirements for a bachelor’s degree. The associate degree requires 20 credit hours of general education, 20 credit hours of prescribed core courses and 24 credit hours of elective courses. In completing the requirements for the associate degree, a student can also complete the general education requirements of a bachelor’s degree. The concentration course requirements for the associate degree include four specified courses and two course requirements in which the student is given an option to choose from specified courses.
Upon completion of the Associate of Arts in Liberal Studies Program, the graduate will be able to:
- Demonstrate skills and knowledge in general education areas that are foundations to life skills and further education;
- Impart knowledge of government and philosophical foundations;
- Develop a solid foundation for further study in a chosen area.
Students desiring to enroll in the Associate of Arts (AA) in Liberal Studies degree program should make application for admission online. Continuous participation in the program until all requirements of the AA are met is mandatory for graduation. If a student decides to discontinue work on the AA he or she may do so by submitting a change of degree application.
A degree completion fee is charged to all students who petition the University for graduation. Application must be submitted no later than the first day of classes of the semester prior to the semester the student plans to graduate. A credit of this fee will be applied to the student’s account if he or she goes into the bachelors program after completing the Associate of Arts degree.
Only one degree will be awarded in a given semester. An associate degree and a bachelor degree will not be awarded simultaneously.
Graduation Requirements for the Associate of Arts in Liberal Studies
Before being graduated with the Associate of Arts in Liberal Studies, a student must satisfy the following requirements:
- Complete at least 64 semester hours of which at least 20 semester hours must be taken with Amridge University;
- Complete all required coursework for the respective degree;
- Have a cumulative grade point average of 2.0 or higher.
- Complete an Amridge University Degree Completion Application. The properly completed and signed application must be submitted no later than the first day of classes of the semester prior to the semester the student plans to graduate. Following this schedule permits the University to conduct a full audit of the respective student’s records to make sure that all courses, programs, and respective graduation requirements have been met. Students having any questions regarding the Degree Completion Application should contact the Registrar’s Office.
The Course Requirements of 64 semester credit hours for the degree program Associate of Arts in Liberal Studies includes general education courses (20 semester hours), program specific courses (16 semester hours), a foundation course (4 semester hours), and elective courses (24 semester hours).
|Core General Education Courses|
EH 1401 English Composition I
HM 2410 Introduction to Ethics
MH 1403 College Algebra
MH 1404 Finite Math
HE 1401 Health
HE 1405 Human Nutrition
SC 1410 Introduction to Life Sciences
BY 2401 Biology I
PG 2401 General Psychology
|Total Core General Education Course Hours||20|
|AR 1409 Art Appreciation
HM 1420 Introduction to Music
|EH 1402 English Composition II||4|
|HY 1401 United States History I
HY 1402 United States History II
HY 2403 Western Civilization I
HY 2404 Western Civilization II
|SP 2401 Fundamentals of Public Speaking||4|
|Total Concentration Course Hours||16|
|FD 1412 Management Intervention (required at the beginning of the student’s program)||4|
|Total Foundational Course Hours||4|
|Elective Course Hours (select from 1000-2000 level courses)||24|
|Total Hours for Associate Degree||64|