The Doctor of Ministry (DMin) in Family Therapy II is an advanced professional degree for community organizations and church-related vocations. This degree has three concentrations designed to prepare participants to counsel with couples, families, and individuals. Being a capstone program, it infuses academics and practice to prepare students for family therapy and counseling ministry.
The Doctor of Ministry in Family Therapy II is designed for students who have a Master of Divinity in a related field.
Students who are deficient in content courses, as identified through the Academic Plan, may be required to take leveling courses in addition to the required course work for this program.
Upon completion of the Doctor of Ministry in Family Therapy I Program, the graduate will be able to:
- Apply knowledge and skills in therapy which can be applied in church settings or other professional settings;
- Demonstrate advanced knowledge and professional skills in Family Therapy;
- Interpret ministry in relation to the context of Family Therapy;
- Analyze literature, materials, and methodologies which develop leadership, teaching, and counseling skills used in helping relationships;
- Nurture personal reflection and growth;
- Meet academic requirements to be a Licensed Marriage and Family Therapist (LMFT) or to be a Licensed Professional Counselor (LPC) if applicable;
- Prepare to become a member of the American Association of Pastoral Counselors (AAPC).
A student may demonstrate achievement of these outcomes by receiving a passing grade in the Dissertation Module IV.
Time Normally Required to Complete the Program
The Doctor of Ministry in Family Therapy II may be completed in three years attending full-time. A student may take the courses on a part-time or full-time basis.
GRADUATION REQUIREMENTS FOR THE DOCTOR OF MINISTRY IN FAMILY THERAPY II
Before being graduated with the Doctor of Ministry in Family Therapy II, a student must satisfy the following requirements:
- Complete a minimum of 36 graduate semester hours of the required course work;
- A minimum of 27 graduate semester hours must be from Amridge University;
- Successfully complete all required coursework for the degree;
- Submit and gain faculty approval of dissertation proposal appropriate to the student’s area of specialization and research competency;
- Have a cumulative GPA of 3.0;
- Dissertation Module IV serves as the Program Exit Examination. The student must receive a passing grade in the Dissertation Module IV in order to graduate; and
- Complete an Amridge University Degree Completion Application. The properly completed and signed application must be submitted no later than the first day of classes of the semester prior to the semester the student plans to graduate. Following this schedule permits the University to conduct a full audit of the respective student’s records to make sure that all courses, programs, and respective graduation requirements have been met. Students having any questions regarding the Degree Completion Application should contact the Registrar’s Office.
The Course Requirements of 36 semester credit hours for the degree program Doctor of Ministry in Family Therapy II consists of program specific courses.
|Required Courses for the Doctor of Ministry in Family Therapy II||Sem. Hrs.|
The Course Requirements of 36 semester credit hours for the degree program Doctor of Ministry in Family Therapy I consists of program specific courses (6 semester hours), program non-specific courses (15 semester hours), a Qualifying Examination (3 semester hours), and Dissertation courses (12 semester hours).
|FT 9300 Family Therapy in the DMin Setting
(Should be taken within the student’s first year in the program.)
RS 9330 Researching the DMin Dissertation
|The student will choose 5 Family Therapy courses||15|
|Total Required Hours for Doctoral Degree||21|
|Qualifying Examination for the Doctor of Ministry in Family Therapy II|
|FT 9354 Qualifying Examination for Doctor of Ministry in Family Therapy I and II||3|
|Total Qualifying Examination Hours for Doctoral Degree||3|
|Research Dissertation Modules for the Doctor of Ministry in Family Therapy II|
|RS 9340 Research Dissertation Module I
RS 9341 Research Dissertation Module II
RS 9342 Research Dissertation Module III
RS 9343 Research Dissertation Module IV
|Total Research Dissertation Module Hours for Doctoral Degree||12|
|Total Required Hours for Doctoral Degree||36|